Monday, February 12, 2007

Sleep Disorders in Children

Sleep disorder rates in children have been back in the press (and research domain) again has me thinking about these difficulties a bit more. Like I assume everyone else is doing I always ask about sleeping difficulties with individuals I assess and have yet to have anyone really report any problems. But I wonder how often children may perceive that their sleep patterns are normal even if they are not. Their own perception may appear to them to be reflection of reality. My wife just returned from a trip to China and jet lag combined with about 30 hours of travel in total showed me exactly what can happen to your executive skills after sleep deprivation.

Here is a list of articles that may be worth reading:

Kids' attention problems may be linked to sleep disorder
Parasomnias Are Common And Frequent In Children, Study Finds
Sleep disorders linked to school work
Sleep Problems Common in Kids
New Study In The Journal Sleep Finds That Parasomnias Are Common And Frequent In Children
Helping Teens Make Peace with Sleep

I am only familiar with one assessment for this area, the Sleep Disorders Inventory for Students (SDIS) by Marsha Luginbuehl, Ph.D., NCSP. A Children’s Form (SDIS-C) Ages 2 to 10 years and the Adolescent Form (SDIS-A) Ages 11 to 18 years.