Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Note on Net News

Quite some time ago I set up news feeds that send me all the latest news on ADHD, Autism, Asperger's, and LD's. In fact, a lot of the reports I provide on here initially come from the results of that research. What strikes me though is the amount of opinion pieces I see that are passed off as legitimate news articles. In fact many reports from reputable sources are little more than press releases.

Take THIS ARTICLE on nutrition and Autism for Medical News Today (MNT).

Let's look at the problems here:

  • This is clearly a press release. When was the last time you saw an unbiased article that provides direct links to only one side of the argument?
  • There is no author listed. If you wrote something professionally you usually want to take credit for it.
  • It is full of loaded language .. Ms. M is presented as a nutrition expert. But the Mayo Clinic nutritionists are not.
  • Not only is there a website posted that examines only one side of the argument, but Ms. M is clearly looking at a book tour and workshops. As a reader I have to ask if this is an advertisement.
  • There is no sources provided other than the book which is being promoted.
I don't have a problem with press releases. I do have a problem with them being presented as news. The unfortunate truth is that I am able to view this and see it for what it is, but an everyday parent is not. I would not share my opinion on nutrition based pushes for treatment of neurological and learning difficulties (and I have opinions) without sourcing them, and that is why you won't read them here.

Now take a look at THIS ONE from Medical News Today discussing a longitudinal study that found no increased risk of substance abuse for ADHD medication users. It's still not perfect (it is also a press release without saying it is one.. perhaps that's MNT's fault) but it is sourced with references that are PEER REVIEWED and easily verified.

The difference is pretty clear. It is unfortunate that parents have to be such educated consumers in our field, but they need to know that the publishing side of treatment is big business.