Sunday, March 11, 2007

Webcast: Reading Assessment

My guess is that many assessors start and finish their reading assessments with tools like WIAT-II, WJ-III, or KTEA-II. Maybe your adding a CTOPP or an extra subtest here or there. However, as phonological processing expands its role in LD definitions and goes beyond the simple reading discrepancies we've used in the past, we really need to look a step beyond the basics. I've recently (and very happily) added Pro-Ed's TOWRE to my testing along with the current decile-based version of the PAL (and I am very excited in a geeky psychoed fashion about a standard score based PAL-II this year).

To beef up on your reading acquisition knowledge there is a decent resource called Reading Rockets which is a collaboration of many groups and seems (at least at my glance) to not be a company driven $$$ site. There are also advertising an upcoming reading workshop Webcast on April 4th. You can find further information by CLICKING HERE.